Friday, March 29, 2013

Is there such thing as a "bad run"?

Yesterday morning, three bright little yellow bursts snuggled up to high 40's temps in the 4, 5, and 6pm slots on my phone's weather app. Perfect, I thought, I'll run home from work later. All day I looked forward to a little fresh air, warm sun, and hard-earned sweat. 

The proverbial bell rang and I excitedly changed then laced up. I was feeling a little sluggish, but I thought my run would perk me right up. When I left the building I saw gray skies and - ugh! - felt tiny, cold rain drops. My first thought was "Okay, not going to have a good run today."

My route was a quick three miles made quicker by the desire to get out of the cold drizzle, and midway through, the cramp in my side reminded me that there really was no need for that afternoon chocolate cake indulgence. To top it all off, my new running pants proved less than willing to stay up at the waist. 

But, as I slowed to a stop, I realized that, in the end, good is in fact the only thing a run can be. Because after that last stride, all the things we think were "bad" along the way, like tired muscles, challenged breathing, or mental weakness, immediately become "good" in the end. They're signs of progress, growth, and perseverance. Every aching quad or struggling thought only makes for a better, stronger, improved performance next time. 

So next time you run into a roadblock, mental or physical, remember that weakness is only negative if we allow it to be. 

Peace, love, and happy running 

No comments:

Post a Comment